What is a USI?
A Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a reference number made up of numbers and letters that gives students access to their USI account. A USI allows an individual’s USI account to be linked to the National Vocational Education and Training (VET) Data Collection allowing an individual to see all of their training results from all providers including all completed training units and qualifications.
Each time you enrol to study with a new training organisation, your USI will be used to store your training records and results.
By having a USI you will be able to access your training records and results (or transcript) whenever you need them. For example, for a new employer or when you enrol to study at a new training organisation.
Your USI can be accessed online from your computer, tablet or smart phone and gives you access to your training records and results at your fingertips.
The USI Initiative is underpinned by the:
- Student Identifiers Act 2014,
- Standards for NVR Registered Training Organisations (RTO) 2014
- Student Identifiers Regulation 2014
The legislation states that a training organisation must not issue a Statement of Attainment or a Qualification unless the student has been assigned a USI.
To create a USI or for further information go to http://usi.gov.au, check out the Student Video below, or alternatively contact Dantek Administration for further assistance.
USI PRIVACY NOTICE
You are advised that and agree that you understand and consent that the personal information of you is collected by the Student Identifiers Registrar for the purposes of
- applying for, verifying and giving a USI;
- resolving problems with a USI; and
- creating authenticated vocational education and training (VET) transcripts;
- may be disclosed to:
- Commonwealth and State/Territory government departments and agencies and statutory bodies performing functions relating to VET for:
- the purposes of administering and auditing Vocational Education and Training (VET), VET providers and VET programs;
- education related policy and research purposes; and
- to assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- VET Regulators to enable them to perform their VET regulatory functions;
- VET Admission Bodies for the purposes of administering VET and VET programs;
- current and former Registered Training Organisations to enable them to deliver VET courses to the individual, meet their reporting obligations under the VET standards and government contracts and assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- schools for the purposes of delivering VET courses to the individual and reporting on these courses;
- the National Centre for Vocational Education Research for the purpose of creating authenticated VET transcripts, resolving problems with USIs and for the collection, preparation and auditing of national VET statistics;
- researchers for education and training related research purposes;
- any other person or agency that may be authorised or required by law to access the information;
- any entity contractually engaged by the Student Identifiers Registrar to assist in the performance of his or her functions in the administration of the USI system; and
- will not otherwise be disclosed without their consent unless authorised or required by or under law.
- access and seek correction of the personal information held about them; and
- complain about a breach of privacy and how such complaints will be dealt with.
Note to RTO /VET Admission Body: If you will be disclosing the individual’s personal information to an overseas recipient, you must take reasonable measures to ensure that the recipient complies with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 as if it were an agency and that it complies with the requirements of the Student Identifiers Act 2014. If such a disclosure will be made, you must ensure that the relevant individual is aware of the countries in which the personal information will be disclosed and consents to the disclosure of their personal information to an overseas recipient. Alternatively, you may advise the individual that if he/she consents to the disclosure by you of personal information to an overseas recipient, you will not be accountable under the Privacy Act in relation to disclosure of their personal information to an overseas recipient and the individual will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act.
You must ensure that the privacy notice advises the individual that if all information requested is not provided, or is inaccurate, it may affect the Student Identifiers Registrar’s ability to provide the individual with a USI.